Friday, January 7, 2011

What did we get ourselves into? Flashback!

So I figured I would participate in a Flashback Friday! I always read Tia's wonderful blogs, but never participated.

Well, I am flashbacking (is that a word?) about one of my dogs, Mater. He is named after the Mater off of Cars because that is my son's favorite movie. He is a boxer. He weighs over 70lbs. He will be 2 years old on March 1st; and it will be 2 years that we've had him in April.

He likes to hog bones and toys. Sounds like Chewbacca. Dryer sheets and peanut butter are irresistable to him.

I came across the pictures of when we first got him, and can barely remember him being so small. More than likely that is due to the crap I had to put up with him. At 4 months old, he started with dominance issues. I NEVER saw a puppy act the way he did. We had no idea what to do. The Dog Whisperer became an everyday name in the household. I read the books, watched the shows.....it seemed endless. Needless to say, the entire summer of 2009, I fought (physically, lol) with that dog everyday. I even thought of giving him up. But, I just couldn't. So through neutering, training, positive, and negative reinforcement (yep, a shock collar, but what else can you do to stop a then 50-60 lb dog from charging you?), we pulled through. But as he has matured, he has become the dog that I wanted to love. He is our family. He is a clown. And he makes me smile.

So here is Mater, like Tow Mater but without the Ta! ;)














1 comment:

  1. Flashbacking is totally a word, haha.

    Mater! My son just got cars for Christmas, and hes been carrying around one of those "chuck" style tow trucks, calling it Mater, and hugging it day and night.

    I'm trying so hard to be a dog person, but I just can't do it. I'm all about cats. But someday, I'm going to have to make sacrifices for the sake of my boys :) Your Mater is pretty dang cute.

    ReplyDelete