Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gettin My Nutrition ON!

Once upon a time,
not so long ago,
I acquired a bachelors degree in Dietetics.
Now I'm a teacher after reassessing my goals and what I wanted from life.
But my love of nutrition has stayed.
I saw this book in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
I checked it out at my local library as something to help me make more simpler meals that take less time.
(Let's face it, I'm exhausted after raising and teaching 65 different kids a day! And cooking....well...)
But this book is SO much more!
It is about improving your diet so that you are healthier.
It teaches you about getting away from the packages and wrappers and going back to where food once came from.
It compares our epidemic of weight related diseases to what cigarettes were 50 years ago.
All the "easy way out packaged meals" and "fast foods" are packed with ingredients that ARE NOT EVEN FOOD!
The book basically teaches you step by step how to begin incorporating whole food items into your processed diets.
I know we are not that bad off, since afterall I know a good bit about this kind of stuff.
But it has been 7 years since I graduated, and new information is presented to us everyday.
So don't follow diet gimmicks, don't avoid certain foods, eat items in moderation.
And as a guide, pick up this book:

"Simple Foods for Busy Families"
By: Jeannette Bessinger, CHHC and Tracee Yablon-Brenner, RD, CHHC

Another plus, the authors are moms as well, so they incorporate tips for children who tend to be picky.
Oh, and those readers who are in my area, I have the only copy available amongst our libraries. If you want, I can let you know when I'm done!

Happy Reading and Learning!



No comments:

Post a Comment